Monday, May 23, 2011

Wolves, is there a way to stop the conflict? (Editorial)

Lately there has been much controversy over the wolf packs in Oregon, between ranchers and I guess you could call them environmentalists, or the people who want to save the wolves. Honestly I don’t pick either side because I agree with both. When I put myself into the rancher’s shoes, I totally get it because the wolves are killing their livestock, which is a lot of time and money thrown in the trash. Also it creates more time and money that they have to spend if the animal is injured and not dead because they have to pay vet bills and put a lot of time into the animal to take care of it.
                On the other side though this is an animal that should be taken care of considering they have been put on and taken off the endangered species list, also it’s not like they know that their killing animals that are important. These are just some of the views of “environmentalists”. On this website, http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/meltingpot/doveside/301/savewolf.htm, they say:
“The wolf has been subjected to unnecessary ridicule and fear; hunted, trapped, and unmercifully murdered by man, the very being who calls a dog (descendent of the wolf), his best friend. Our ancestors sat around their camp fires and threw scraps to the hungry harmless wolves that were attracted by the smell of cooked food. Each saw benefits in befriending the other.  Man would have his guards, look-outs and hunters.” On each side there are very strong opinions, but in my opinion alone I believe there is only one thing that can solve this problem.
                Now one day this idea came to me when I was discussing this topic with my mom, now I am almost positive that I am not the first one to come up with this but I have told many close friends about it and they think it’s a great idea. A conservation center is what I call it and it would be thousands or even millions of acres that will be used to place the wolves in where they will be safe, but also unable to create damage to rancher’s property. This would be fenced in, which sounds cruel, but you have to keep in mind that it’s millions of acres for them to roam without human interaction. It would be just like their natural habitat, with lots of dens, streams, and hiding places. The only time there is human interaction is when the wolves need to be fed, now this would not be done through a fence because that would be domesticating the wolves in a sense, but there could be arrangements made for that.
 So on both sides of this ongoing argument there are very valid points, now the question is which side to pick? As I said why choose when there are things that can be done to please both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment